For this week’s creative prompts, the theme is food. Take a few minutes, or more, to write about one of the great animal pleasures—or art it out, whatever your medium may be.
- Make a dream shopping list without regard for budget, availability, or storage space.
- Write about a time when you realized that you’d lost the taste for a certain food or drink—either temporarily, or for good.
- Recall a meal eaten in the company of someone with whom your relationship later changed in one drastic way or another.
- Take inspiration from this wild essay.
- Focus on a moment—real or imagined—in which variances in regional food terms caused a misunderstanding or miscommunication.
- Without using numbers or measurement of any kind (including time frame), give instructions for the preparation of a specific dish.
- Write about a time when you ate food you really didn’t want to eat, whether because you were being polite, because you were forced to, or because it was the only option.
- Explore the archives: search ‘cookbook’ or ‘recipe’ in Google, select Books, click Tools, then adjust your time range to find a strange or oddly described food from the past to use as a jumping off point.
- Describe an ideal meal. Include a guest list, details of the space, the dishes, any background music or foreground entertainment, conversational topics, etc.
- Write a scene or poem in which an ingredient mix-up in a recipe sends events in an unexpected direction.
Did you miss earlier prompts lists? Here they are.creativitywriting lifeprompts
Got high-quality writing or artwork related to publishing or digital media? Consider submitting it to our blog. Thanks!